If you are disabled, chances are you will have, or will be applying for PIP which is what used to be DLA (Disability Living Allowance), or the Attendance Allowance.

See below a quick guide to what each benefit is.

PIP -What are the different benefits?

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.
You could get between £21.80 and £139.75 a week.
The rate depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.
You’ll need an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your rate will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

PIP started to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16 to 64 from 8 April 2013.

Use the PIP checker to find out if and when PIP affects your DLA

Attendance Allowance

You could get £55.10 or £82.30 a week to help with personal care because you’re physically or mentally disabled and you’re aged 65 or over.
This is called Attendance Allowance. It’s paid at 2 different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability.

Carers Allowance

Your carer could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs.

See www.gov.uk for more information on what benefits you could be getting.

What can you spend your PIP money on?

The PIP scheme, as the name suggests is for personal independence, so you could perhaps use your PIP money to fund a Mobility scooter, power wheelchair, electric bed, disabled bathroom or any other item which will help your independence, over a period of time. It could also be used to pay someone to help care for you.

If you receive the PIP or DLA payment and would like more information on what you can spend it on, call East Coast Mobility on 01502 514500 or email us on hello@eastcoastmobility.co.uk.

If you need help with PIP or other benefits try DIAL who are a company made up of several employees and volunteers, in Lowestoft, who help people sort out benefits issues and other challenges faced when living with a disability.

I have got to go to a tribunal, what do all the terms mean?

When it comes to the tribunal for your PIP it can be a bit daunting to know what they are talking about. Thanks to Advice Now we can give you all the terms and what they mean for you.

This is a benefit expert who can give you advice about your claim. They may also be able to help you prepare for the hearing. If you are lucky, you may be able to find an adviser to be your representative at the hearing (see below).

This means a panel of three experts who do not work for the DWP will look at your claim and see if the right decision was made. If they think the wrong decision was made, they will change it.

This is a person who helps you often, like every day or every week. It might be somebody you pay, or might be your partner, a family member, or a friend or neighbour. The help they give you might be physical help (for example to get in the bath or up the stairs), they might help you by getting your shopping or helping you prepare a meal, or they might help you by encouraging and prompting you to do things.

Clerk to the Tribunal
This is the person who organises the hearing and deals with the paper work.

Department for Work and Pension (DWP)
This is the government department that deals with most benefits, including DLA and AA. It used to be called the Benefits Agency.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
This is a benefit for people under 65 who need help with their personal care or have walking difficulties because of their disability or long-term illness. It is being replaced for people aged 16–64 years with the Personal Independence Payment (PIP). By 2018 DLA will be for under 16s only.

Enquiry form
This just means the form they send you with the big pack of papers. They might also call this the ‘TAS1’. See page 15.

First-tier Tribunal
This is the new name for the panel of three experts who do not work for the DWP who will ear your appeal to see if the DWP made the right decision.

HM Courts and Tribunal Service
This is the government department that organises the panel and the hearing.

This is when your appeal is looked at by the Tribunal. You can either have a hearing in person (also called an ‘oral hearing’) when you go and speak to the Tribunal face to face. Or you can have a written hearing (also called a ‘paper hearing’) when they tribunal just look at the papers again on their own. We strongly advise you to go to a hearing in person. You have a much better chance of success if you do.

Reconsideration (or Revision)
This means the DWP will look at their decision again.

This is an expert in benefits who will help you prepare for the hearing and will come with you to help you put your case.

This means having your claim looked at again because your condition has worsened since the date of the decision.

This is the form they send you to see if you want to continue with your appeal. They might also call this the ‘enquiry form’

Tribunal Judge/Chair of the Tribunal
This is the person that sits in the middle of the panel who will make a decision on your case. They are legally qualified.

Upper Tribunal
This is like a higher court. If you weren’t successful in your appeal, you might be able to appeal to the Upper Tribunal, but you can only do this if the panel made a mistake with the law.